Commonly Asked Questions
What are some of the benefits of the International Student Program?
- To facilitate a cross-cultural experience for both the international student and the host family
- To provide an opportunity for international students to learn about Canadian culture and traditions
- To bring new perspectives into our classrooms and afford local students the opportunity make relationships with students from other countries to broaden their viewpoint, celebrate diversity and develop a more global mindset
- To give international students the experience of being part of a Canadian family
- To facilitate the development of the international student’s English proficiency
- To ensure our local schools remain viable by contributing to student enrollment
- To enhance our local economy
What do I need to provide for my student?
- A safe, comfortable, friendly, English speaking environment
- A clean and well maintained home
- A bedroom with a window, door, adequate heating, bed and linens, dresser, lamp and study area
- Access to bathroom and laundry facilities
- Three nutritious, well-balanced meals per day, as well as appropriate snacks
- Access to telephone, internet (wifi) and television
- Transportation for students to school/social events
- Exposure to Canadian culture and local attractions
How do I develop a healthy relationship with my student?
- Include the student as a family member in day to day activities and responsibilities
- Respect the student’s culture, religion and values
- Communicate daily with your student
- Involve the student in various activities and outings
- Establish fair household rules
What are some rules of the International Student Program?
- Students must follow your house rules and be respectful
- Students are prohibited from smoking, drinking alcohol or using illicit drugs
- Students are not allowed to drive a vehicle that requires an operator’s license
- Adhere to Mountain View School Division policies
- Treat students with respect and dignity
- Maintain confidentiality in matters related to the International students
- Travel with your student out of province must be approved by the Homestay Manager
- Abide by Canadian and provincial laws
How do I cover the costs involved in hosting an International student?
- The Mountain View School Division International Student Program pays a stipend (not considered as income) for hosting a student. This money goes towards food, transportation and activities you engage in with your student
What if the student is sick or hurt?
- Treat the student as you would your own child. If necessary, make an appointment with your family doctor and attend the appointment with the student
- Students have health insurance to cover the costs of doctor’s appointments and some prescriptions
What if I have to be away for a period of time?
- For short periods (1-2 days), arrangements can be made with other homestay families to keep your student. Please inform your Homestay Manager
- For longer periods (more than 3 days), temporary homestay placement will be arranged in consultation with the Homestay Manager. You will need to pay a fee of $25/day to the temporary homestay
What if there are issues or problems?
- Firstly, attempt to discuss the matter with the student
- Secondly, inform the Homestay Manager about the issue
- Be open to mediation with the student and the Homestay Manager
- If there is no satisfactory resolution, the student will be transferred to a different home
How do I apply to be a homestay parent?
- Complete a Homestay Application
- Send the application form to the Homestay Manager
- Your Homestay Manager will do a home assessment and interview
- You will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check
- Once everything is approved, we will try our best to match your homestay family to a suitable student