Become a Homestay Family
Mountain View School Division’s International Student Program seeks outgoing and open-minded families that realize the benefits of welcoming an international student into their home. If you are interested in experiencing a new and exciting family dynamic, in helping teach a student about Canadian life and in providing your family an opportunity to acquire a more global mindset, then becoming a homestay family might be for you!
We welcome all types of families to be part of this program: families with children, couples, empty nesters or singles. The most important factor in being a homestay family is to be caring, responsible, open-minded and willing to welcome a new member into their family. A homestay family must be able to provide:
- A safe, comfortable, friendly, English-speaking environment
- A clean and well-maintained home
- A bedroom with a window, door, adequate heating, bed and linens, dresser, lamp and study area
- Access to bathroom and laundry facilities
- Three nutritious, well-balanced meals per day, as well as appropriate snacks
- Access to telephone, internet (Wi-Fi) and television
- A clean Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check
- Transportation to school/social events for students, if required
- Exposure to Canadian culture/local attractions
Our homestay managers provide families with an annual orientation, as well as ongoing support and guidance. Homestay families are required to attend such orientations to become familiar with the program guidelines and best practices. Although families participate in this program for benefits associated with cultural exchange, they receive a stipend of $900/month to cover expenses related to the student living with their family.
The International Student Program would not be able to exist without our dedicated homestay families. We are currently placing students in the communities of Dauphin, Gilbert Plains, Grandview and Roblin. Homestay families must live in the catchment area for these schools.
- For families in Dauphin and Gilbert Plains, please contact Lois Aitken at [email protected].
- For families in Grandview and Roblin, please contact Florence Branconnier at [email protected].
Families interested in becoming homestay families must read the Homestay Handbook and submit an Online Homestay Family Application, linked below. If you have any technical issues in creating your account, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected].